Germs in Public Places
Public Spaces such as workplaces can house thousands of germs. Light switches, door handles, kettles, sink taps and computer equipment – you name it, there are probably germs nesting on it. Consider how many surfaces you touch on a daily basis. If you touch it then the likelihood is that your so-workers touch it too. Find out below where the most germs within a public place exist and how you can avoid them with tips from ServiceMaster Clean.
Germs in Doctors’ Offices
Visiting a doctors surgery is unavoidable every so often, there is also the employees working inside doctor surgeries. It is not exactly the place you would want to be if you needed to avoid germs. Offices including your GP, Paediatrician and Urgent Care are riddled with germs from sick patients. Writing utensils, chairs, door handles and tables are likely to cling to germs, putting you at risk for exposure.
- Ensure your cleaning staff are using a product which contains a antimicrobial agent that actually kills bacteria and can prevent the spread of disease for example: MRSA, C-Diff, E-Coli Septicaemia, Salmonella and Swine Flu.
- Ensure your staff are following a strict task schedule developed and tailor made especially for your doctor surgery
- Pack your own tissues and hand sanitizer
- Sit far away from other sick patients to put space between yourself and them
- Bring your own reading material for the waiting room
- Bring your own children’s toys.
Germs in Restaurants
Every restaurant and food outlet now gets rated on their kitchens and food preparation areas as a matter of law, however the inspection may not include the restaurants seating area. Here hidden germs can multiply in areas that aren’t deeply sanitized. Such as restaurant menus – these are handed around from one person to another. Condiment containers and even the seats you are sitting in.
- Ensure table fixtures and fittings are within the task schedule to be cleaned on a daily basis, including table legs and chairs.
- Ensure a cleaning rota/task schedule is implemented for the evening clean down in areas you don’t employ cleaners for.
- Ask the server to wipe your table over before you sit
- Never allow your plate to touch your plate or cutlery
- Always keep your cutlery on a napkin, not on the table
Germs in Bathrooms
Even when restrooms and bathrooms are regularly cleaned, public bathrooms can harbour plenty of germs due to visitors in-between scheduled cleaning times. Germs can be found everywhere from the toilet flush, cubicle doors, taps, cubicle walls and many other areas. Hand free devices reduce the risk of catching these germs, however not completely.
- Ensure the toilet areas, ecpeically where people touch are highly sanitized on the task schedule on a daily basis (minimum).
- Ensure that you use a professional cleaning company whose products can kill these germs and not just make it look clean.
- Use paper towels to touch handles/doors
- Never place personal items on the floor
- Move after flushing to avoid bacteria rising from the flush
- Ensure you learn how to wash your hands properly and efficiently
Germs in Office Areas
Offices are filled with work spaces that build up germs – the office keyboard has been found to harbour more germs than a toilet seat (This isn’t good if your ‘hot desking’). Printer, fax machines, coffee makers, refrigerators, telephones and desks can go weeks or months without being sanitized if you don’t employ a commercial cleaning company, putting you at risk of illness.
- Ensure your cleaning operative is following their cleaning task schedule on a daily basis or at least have your employees follow a cleaning checklist if you clean your office yourselves.
- Sanitize your work stations and computer equipment daily.
- Use a professional cleaning company to deeply clean your offices, even on a weekly basis to limit your exposure to germs.
If you need a professional cleaning service to sanitize your public space, call the experts at ServiceMaster Clean, Swansea. With our genuine commitment to offering you the best service with the proper tools, equipment, training and expertise, we can be there for you 24/7, any day of the year. Find out more by calling us on 01792 323238 today.Back