According to a 2014 Gallup Poll, the average full-time worker spends 47 hours per week at their job. That equates to more than 8 hours per day at work and in your ‘space’. If you personal workspace is dirty and cluttered, that 40+ hour workweek is going to feel even longer. Below are some tips and tricks to turn your ‘home away from home’ into a pleasant space that is clean and clutter free.
Workspace Cleaning: Start Fresh
For the ultimate workspace organization project, start with a clean slate. Remove everything off your desk and throw away any items that you don’t need as you clean. Get rid of old food wrappers, old sticky notes and paper bits with queries answered weeks ago. You’ll be surprised at what items you accumulate over time. Remember a clean workspace is a healthy workspace, so ditch any lingering tissues and wipe down all hard surfaces with disinfectant.
Easy Workspace Organization
Begin to organize personal workspace by creating ‘work zones’ and assigning a place for the things you use daily. If most of your day is spent on the computer, make it the centre of your workspace. Clean your monitor and keyboard and add a stylish new mouse pad and replace the one full of coffee rings. Try the following tips to help tame the additional chaos and clutter:
- Keep what you use frequently within reach
- Have a desk tidy just for pens and pencils so you don’t have to search the office when your in the middle of an important phone call
- Have a separate desk tidy for markers and highlighters
- Invest in a divided organizer tray to keep in a desk drawer or off to the side of the desktop.
- Use stacking paper trays and label: Today, To Read, To File, etc.
- Limit Personal Belongings
Many employers allow some personal touches in employee workspace or cubicles. However, to keep your personal workspace looking organised and clean, try and limit the amount of personal items you have. One or two pictures will add a personal touch while maintaining a professional atmosphere.